Monday, February 27, 2006

Put It In A Suitcase

I was in church yesterday, listening to a sermon about letting go and forgiveness and moving on. I was sitting next to a man who knew also exactly that the message was aimed at our pew (and I am sure many others). We were asked to write down the past hurts from a relationship or things we were holding onto in our lives. After writing, we brought up our private information and put it in a suitcase which was zipped and rolled away; a symbol of the removal of them from our lives if we truly let go.

I knew there would be a few more steps in my letting go. A couple of phone calls and hard swallows helped us get through it and let it go. When I hung up the phone for the last time I felt the release as I knew the baggage was carried away. I turned and headed into the house and to the arms of someone who mattered more to me than the hurt I was hanging onto.

Everyone, meet Jim - he is the one you have been reading about cryptically on my posts of late. He is a mountain among men. He has a quiet strength and resolve to him. He is a Godly man and so loving. He reminded me of what normal feels like, he has returned laughter to my life and peace to my heart. He is a father of two who understands the loss of a long marriage, the trials of letting go of a toxic relationship and the strength it takes to release yesterday and embrace today.

Today is the day that is new, he is the man who gives me butterflies and magic. He is the man who helped me bridge the chasm. He is amazing. I am not sure where we are walking in the grand scheme of things, but I am grateful that he is walking beside me right now with hands strong enough to hold me yet gentle enough not to hurt me.

No comments: