Monday, December 19, 2005

Well Finally, You Show Up

The tiny, salty drops covered my cheeks and ran across my mouth and I thought to myself "Well, finally you showed up."

My mind ran over the particulars: No happily ever after, no church pic-nics on Sunday afternoon in the park, no first Christmas, second Christmas. No children that are as tall as one and look like the other, no Rudy's or Hill Country or walking beneath the stars and geese. No holding hands or riding bikes or reading to each other or waking up at 3:45 a.m. or early morning breakfasts at the corner stop. No hikes to the rock or playing in the grass or loving at the park or sitting in the dark on a swing, just talking.

And again, the tiny, salty drops began to cover my cheeks and run across my mouth and I thought to myself "You have five minutes left of this."

No comments: