Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Cleveland

I am sitting in total silence with the exception of the click of the keypad. I am ungrateful and in many ways, very selfish. I am humbled by tonight, the eve of the day we give thanks for our blessings. You see, I just I learned a lesson - was taught a lesson. I must truly be thankful for the life God gave me and for the blessings he bestows on me endlessly, although I am not deserving.
In my final preparations for having guests tomorrow, I realized that I was missing a few ingredients needed to make a few of the dishes I was preparing in advance so I headed to the grocery store. I left my affluent neighborhood with my dog on my lap and money in my wallet. I passed mansion upon mansion on my short drive towards Peachtree Street, looking in the windows, noticing the beautiful paintings and lit driveways, gas lanterns flickering on posts by the roadside.
As I turned into the plaza where the store is, my headlights focused on a man. He looked to be my age. He had taken the lid off the trash bin next to the post office and was rummaging amongst the contents. He picked up a drink cup and swirled it to see if there was anything in there to drink. He had found something to give him a bit of relief from his thirst. The post office has been closed for hours, so I knew the contents of that cup were more than likely from lunch. Warm and tasting of Styrofoam.
As I pulled into my parking space and made my way into the market I noticed that he had moved closer to the store - to the next garbage can and was removing the lid. I went over to him. "Excuse me sir, are you hungry?" I noticed that he had found a discarded cigarette butt and was holding it between his fingers. More leftovers from another. He said yes, he was hungry. I asked him to wait for me, I told him I would return in a moment from the store and bring him something to eat. He could not look me in the eye and I could tell in that moment that he had a sweet spirit in him and that he had not looked many people in the eye for a long time.
As I went into the store, I could not remember the few items that I went there for. I walked up and down the aisles but my mind could not focus. Everything inside me was hurting - for him and the countless others that will not have this year. Not just tomorrow, but many days after. No place to sleep, no food to eat and more than likely a substance abuse problem caused by a break in their soul at some point in their lives.
There were so many people in the store, buying so much, so much. Carts overflowing. I still could not remember what I needed - but I knew what he needed, so I proceeded to the deli to buy him a rotisserie chicken and some warm macaroni and cheese. A large bottle of water, a Sprite, utensils, salt and pepper and a pack of cigarettes. No leftovers tonight. Not for him.
He was waiting still, outside the store and I sat next to him, handing him the bag. I offered my hand to him and introduced myself. He returned in kind, still not able to meet my eyes. "Hi, my name is Cleveland."
We talked for a few minutes and he began to feel comfortable and peeked inside his bag. He said nothing to me, just reached over and squeezed my hand as I got up and made my way back to the car with a weight on me of conviction. "Be thankful Mellissa, be truly thankful" was all I heard inside my heart. So tonight as I sit here, humbled and reminded what tomorrow is really about. Lesson applied.
Thank you Cleveland - God bless you and keep you.

17 comments:

Osbasso said...

This is exactly what I would expect you to do. You didn't disappoint! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving--sounds like you're headed in the right direction!

lecram sinun said...

It's about 6:15 AM and I came over to give you info on the music of my video. Now I ave also read the perfect post to begin the day. Thank You.

BTW... the music is from the first CD of Gotan Project. Here is a link to their site http://www.gotanproject.com/

Moosekahl said...

Okay, now I have tears in my eyes. thank you for your kindness to Cleveland. That's what being thankful is about, sharing it with others. God bless you today.

Brown eyed girl said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
~xo

Brown eyed girl said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
~xo

Brown eyed girl said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
~xo

Mike said...

Its all about giving. We recieve so much and yet we often neglect the most precious gift one can give, care and love for on another. I often think when I see a person without much and down and out....that is someones Daughter or Son. Every soul deserves love, even if they are not the most loveable person on the surface. They all at one time had purity and innocence of heart and soul. Sometimes the world beats it down and disquises it.

Thanks for showing what Thanksgiving is Bug.

•♥•m•♥• said...

U made me cry....and believe again.....M

bricotrout said...

i think one of the most overlooked facts about jesus in today's mainstream christian teaching is the fact that he had no posessions other than the few clothes on his back. that to me speaks volumes about him.
i challenge myself to always make eye contact with a panhandler on a street corner and to issue a sincere 'best of luck my friend' to them even if i have nothing to give.
i knew i came to your blog today for a reason.
and i ditto Doc's sentiment.
did you get my email?

Southern Sweetheart said...

I'm sitting here with tears welled up in my eyes at your heartfelt warmth and caring heart. I'm so glad I came here tonight. You are truly an angel Mellissa.

Rebecca said...

And that is what it's all about..... so few remember that.

You're a kind soul. :)

MIA said...

Warms my heart. You are a good soul. You will be blessed 10 fold.

Zya said...

You are such a kind hearted person, Bugs. Brought a tear to my eye... I wish there were more people like you.

Mellissa said...

Hi All,

Thank you for reading along and for the kind comments. I did not write this for an "atta-girl", just more to remind everyone who reads this post that there are those among us who need to be noticed, to be helped - and we should remember to be humble in all things.

xoxo,
Bug

Rebecca said...

True, you might not have written for the accolades....but the accolades are still well deserved. :)

Tim said...

Oh, man, reading that post brings tears to my eyes. Though you did it out of kindness and not for accolades, still some are in order for you. I'll wager many people have seen Cleveland poking around in the garbage and walked right past him, not even noticing what he was doing.

Sort of reminds me of the story of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-37.

Hope your Thanksgiving was blessed.

oregoncelticlady said...

What a wonderful opportunity given to you!