Thursday, August 04, 2005

Baton Bob


I live in "Midtown" Atlanta, Georgia. It is referred as Midtown because it is the area that lies between the Burbs of Atlanta and the Downtown Skyline.

We have quite a character that is known as "Baton Bob". I call him the Midtown Majorette. As I was making my way to look at a house today, there he was, in a black tutu with pom pom boots and a feathered marching band hat, twirling away.

I remember the first time I saw him on the corner of Piedmont and Monroe where I live, and there just happened to be a large group of runners out that morning, so I thought it was a promotion or something for the runners ('come on folks, we do have the Peachtree Road Race after all) so there was on my bike, cracking up at the spectacle.

Then I saw him again - different costume, no runners! I asked some friends of mine about what I was seeing and they all seemed to know "Bob" as part of our urban culture club!! I am attaching a link so that you can see for yourself. And, before you judge him based solely on his look, keep in mind that Bob volunteers at the the Cancer Center at Children's Health Care of Atlanta and seems to have a heart of gold.

While I might long to see families in my neighborhood, and want men at my local grocery store to check me out and not each other (or my boyfriend) I am learning to appreciate the diversity and differences in people more and more each day. Bob is a fine example of that.

I think the photograph says it all - Remember to SHARE the road!

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/0305/31batonbob.html

No comments: