Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I Am Missing Paris

Oh man, I really wish I could go to Paris again. I am sitting at home right now dreaming about it. I know all the places I would go - let me share with you what my day would look like.....


1. Fauchon - (Fawshaun) My all time favorite chocolate and gourmet shop! There is a girly pink awning that welcomes you and a really chic little tea room adjoining the front entrance.

Little cookies in all colors are stacked up in pyramides in the windows, chocolate strawberries in tuxedo suits line the second tier and bon bons line the lower. Chocolate coffee, chocolate covered nuts - Willy Wonka has no game on this shop.

There are usually well-heeled ladies with impecable hairsytles leaving the shop with the small bits of decadence tucked inside bags that say FAUCHON boldly around the bag - a note to all passing by you that you have incredible taste!! Yummmmmmm.


2. Marche Aux Puces St. Ouen (marchay o puse santwon) this is THE flea market that you hear about all the time, antiques, Armoires from the coast of Normandy, gold gilded mirrors that you are sure must have belonged to Napoleon and miles and miles of interesting objects. Most tourists look for this sweet spot, but never find their way to the real deal part of the flea market, as the metro map only takes you to the part that is full of cheap knock-off Nikes and Louis Vitton bags.


This is by far the treasure chest of all world markets - but it is not for the novice. These folks know exactly what they own and will hold firm on selling for the fair price, but the dealers will also invite you at a moments notice to sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee or a pastry with them, when they are not napping in an antique chair......


3. Notre Dame. I push my way past the throngs of tourists that crowd around the door and make my way inside to sit and pray each time I go to Paris. It is a magical place for me and absolutely awe inspiring.

Chandeliers from centuries ago still illuminate the Cathedral, bathing statues and marble in golden light that balance a myriad of colors from the stained glass mirrors. Concerts here are a treat, usually consisting of a small quartet of strings. The music will bring tears and reverence.


I always light a prayer candle and leave uplifted, pushing back through tourists that never made it past the front door carvings......ces't dommage (it is a shame).





4. Cafe De Flore - Gas lanterns, ham sandwiches on crusty baguettes with lots of butter and salads piled high on plates with vinaigrette dressings and poached eggs on top.

Interesting old men smoking cigars and reading Le Monde (French version of the NY Times). Artists chain smoking and drinking double espressos and laughing with friends who meet up daily to discuss the world at large and their own artistic sufferings. French film stars from the old days, well-suited businessmen and me, sitting quietly reading a book, drinking Cafe au chocloate and eavesdropping in an attempt to better my French. Always interesting.

I would be tired by this point as I would have walked to each destination except for the taxi to the flea market. I would meander the streets through the Quartier Latin (kartier latan) back to my hotel in St. Germain to day dream about tomorrow's adventure.......

No comments: