Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Hawk and the Sparrow

As I was driving to the car wash this afternoon, I saw the most amazing sight (as I sat at the same red light three times). There were two birds circling overhead to my right. One I identified as a Hawk because the of the distinctive flying pattern and wings and the other was a Sparrow. I thought at first that they were flying in a large circle looking for food, but then I realized that they were preparing for battle in the air.

They would circle and the Hawk would play the aggressor, flying so close to the Sparrow in an attempt to intimidate her into leaving the hunting ground. Intimidation, plain and simple. What amazed me what that after three passes and near hits from Hawk, the Sparrow turned back and engaged back as the aggressor. She came in strong, she stood her ground and she fought for what was hers. The Hawk would not win this battle and she came after him so forcefully and continually that he eventually gave up in his attacks on her and flew away.

Sometimes it is the one we think will surely lose that ends up winning in the end. Survival of the most determined I guess.

It was simply an amazing sight to see. It was the best part of my day.

Ladybug

No comments: