Monday, December 26, 2005

When It All Looks Different


The last time I walked the road around the lake it was warm and perfect. You were skipping rocks and we were all talking and enjoying the coming sunset. There was July weather and geese swimming in lazy patterns, dogs happily running along gravel sniffing and wagging.

It is much different now. We still walk the lake road in the evening, but you are not there, no rocks slide along the icy surface of the lake. There is December weather and ducks are in marshes waiting out the winter months the geese have flown further south, and the puppies are hurriedly making their way toward the warmth of home.

It is funny though, because as I was pulling my scarf a little tighter around my neck, I could still, so perfectly, make out the way you looked that day and the peace that was on your face and the happiness as the rocks skipped again and again. It made me long to be back in July and for just a moment I closed my eyes and went back there again……

No comments: