Monday, September 11, 2006

Jersey Mike's & Cupcakes

I had invited a friend of mine out for brunch for her birthday which was yesterday. She is always complaining about her friends not being interested in her, and that she doesn't have enough of a social life, no man, no family ties, etc. So when I extended the invitation to take her to brunch, she accepted and I thought that was that. I hated to think that she would be alone on her special day.

So I went out and bought her a small gift, wrote a card, baked homemade cupcakes for her. When I caught up with her on IM (our main form of communication) she indicated that she was tired and having a slow morning and so I asked if dinner would be better. After she said yes, I made reservations for dinner at 7:30 p.m. ....she never made it over to my house, she IM'd me after I had left her several IM's saying, is is 6 p.m. ping me when you get in, it is 7:08 p.m. and dinner is at 7:30 p.m., etc. She finally IM'd me that she had fallen asleep and had only woken up 15 minutes prior to seeing my messages....mind you, our dinner was firm and confirmed. I thought she was out for the afternoon maybe doing something productive and fun so not seeing her online did not bother me so much. I just stayed on course to be ready by 7 p.m......

So there I sat, dressed and irritated...so I took myself to Jersey Mike's for a sub and I ate a cupcake for dessert...and to think - my best friend Kerri was having a rough day - and I could have been spending time with her instead.

You see, if you look around and find yourself without friends, without invitations for dinners out, weekends away, people not returning phone calls or emails to you, do the math and rememeber to have a friend, you have to be a friend.

I won't be extending myself to this person anymore. I have true friends to look after.

No comments: