Sunday, January 07, 2007

Letting You Go

In bits and pieces I have let you go. People ask me questions and I realize that I did not investigate that angle - instead choosing to take the bits you told me and move on. I think when I saw you the last time, with your papers in hand, it was the last act of sacrifice I will ever make for you. I completed, stamped and dropped the parcel in the mailbox and then I prayed - that the Lord would release me fully from the covenant we entered into so many years before. In his amazing mercy and benevolence, he removed you from me and left only peace in the spot where you had been all those years.

Recently, someone asked me "why?" and I told the truth, wondering if they believed me. I know people think there are two sides to every story, each containing only perhaps 75% of the truth, but what I said was accurate and truthful and just so matter of fact. "I was useful and faithful, a good wife. When I demanded to be a priority, he left." It was the truth, not in a twisted way, but just in fact and with no bitterness.

So this is the last of it. I hope to see no more emails from you with subject lines of pain. It is not my job to ease you through loss or talk to you about your dreams. You gave up the right of that when you left me four years ago. I am sorry that you lost your best friend to a tragic death recently. I will pray for you, and for his family...but I wont ask questions, or reach out to you. I have let you go...and I wish you well.

5 comments:

AM said...

Glad you reached this stage :)

Rebecca said...

Good for you....
Hugs.... :)

lecram sinun said...

All about forward motion... and you are doing great in that area. :)

Anonymous said...

Never make someone your priority while allowing yourself to be their option. It's my new motto. Good for you bug!

Mellissa said...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments here - it is a hard thing to do, when you have to turn the tap off for someone. I love Karen's saying as well - it applies to so much in life.