Friday, February 09, 2007

Back In The Day

Today I was reminded of childhood, of vacation time and being carefree. I was a young girl with a mischievous twinkle and long brown braids. I was a happy kid.

Today I am thinking of creaking screen doors at the lake house and cantaloupe sprinkled with a little salt and taking our boat out on the lake. Safety and comfort provided by my father. Sun reflecting off ripples in the water. Sandy bottom visible from the dock and small fish looking for food.

I am listing to John Mayer over the computer and just remembering the good days of Summer in the South.

Watermelon put in the stream to chill and mom making lunch was the order of the day. I explored well beyond my boundaries looking for salamanders and ladybugs. My dad gave me my nickname one summer because of that. That is how I became Ladybug.

I had long legs and a never-ending tan – arms filled with bruises from climbing whatever was around me to scale. I need to be higher and see what the view was like. I was never bored. I was still in the discovery phase and the small things brought me joy and wonder.

So now as Winter is here and I am bundled up, drinking a cup of green tea and feeling overwhelmed by the tasks in front of me, I am taking a moment to remember the simple times, the warmer weather…and the joy of times past.

I hope you all are well…and happy this day!

Xoxo,
Bug

6 comments:

lecram sinun said...

Beautiful impressions to hold on to on a cold Winter day. Here's hoping you a wonderful weekend back, my friend. May you find something to ignite the twinkle in your eye. :)

cheers!
marcel

Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories. Made me think of some of my own that hadn't entered my mind in a long, long time. Hope you are well Mel..hugs.

Cosima said...

It's such a beautiful picture you paint. There is something magical about childhood memories, and like Karen your post reminded me of some of my own. Thank you :)!

Mellissa said...

I think the best part of writing to share my thoughts publicly is the little bits of thought it gives others...then again sometimes it is fun just to write a rant!!

xoxo,
LB

AM said...

Hehe beautiful.
Can you see me next to you on the second couch doing the same while staring outside?
;)

Mellissa said...

Hey AM - come on over and grab a seat! We would have a great ol' time!!

Mel