Thursday, February 01, 2007

Making Ready

The house is very quiet with the exception of the dishwasher running the last load of coffee cups and Maggie's dishes. The rain has stopped falling and I am ready to head out for some last minute errands before heading up to work in Chicago for a week.

Laundry is completed, folded and put in its proper place, the house is spotless including adjusting the artwork on the walls and putting out fresh candles in the house. Bills are paid and taxes are completed and mailed. I have made everything ready...

The funny thing is, that the process of making ready is an easy one for me. There is not a huge list of things to do or a house to really put in order when you live alone. I was thinking about that today...the simplicity of being solo.

I was also thinking and wondering about when we all became so complacent and comfortable with this...why we don't take more chances to change our lives. It is really better this way, or so perfect and fulfilling that we chose to stay in this safe place and not venture out to something bigger/different/unknown?

I believe that we have become to measured, too set in our ideals and too closed. Actually, I am saying a lot of "we" but I really don't so much mean myself. I was reading someone's blog the other day and I laughed out loud about how they always write "we" this and "we" that. When you read the writings of this person, it is only comical really because the "we" is not accurate to the subject matter at hand as it really is about them just spinning in a concentric circle. Anyway, I digress...

I guess the bottom line is this. I can play this game of being alone and functioning and doing really well - and pretending that it is cool...but you know what - it isn't. This is not me at all. I think big, I dream bigger and I am not happy with dribs and drabs in life or in relationships. I don't want hold back in a relationship or in life. I am tired of being in neutral and waiting for someone to put me in gear in their timetable.

I am putting it in drive today - and living my life according to my wishes, hopes and dreams. And those are full-throttle, windows down and with road trip music playing. Life is too short to stay in neutral.

xoxo,
Bug

3 comments:

Southern Sweetheart said...

You're right lady. Life IS too short ---

May I just offer something -- you see yourself in a totally different light than I see you -- I've always thought you lived life according to your wishes, hopes and dreams and I've often been somewhat envious of you for those traits specifically. You have been an inspiration to me to live life to the fullest and go and be and see the things I want to experience. Mediocrity is unacceptable and our similarities with one another is just that -- we don't accept mediocrity and we continuously keep moving the bar and wanting more out of life.

I have the utmost confidence and faith in your ability to reach for your dreams and actually grasp them.... So, go, live it up girl -- you deserve all this life has to offer you.

Mellissa said...

Hi SS -

You are correct on many points in your comment - and thank you taking time to do that!!

It is funny, because as much as I try to live out my dreams - I just wish there was some free spirit out there to share them with me.

While I am a good corporate citizen ;-), there is a creative, free spirited girl in me that has to get fed!

This post was more about the complacent ones in life that we tend to hold on for - only to realize they have no intention of stepping outside their comfortable little boxes!!

Come visit me soon - we will have a great time here in ATL!!

xoxo,
Bug

AM said...

Oh bug, can you please drag me into this mood? I so need help. I don't recognize myself at times.
Lovely post, bravo bravo bravo. I need to read more of this kind :D