Friday, March 02, 2007

Tell A Story In The Form Of A Love Letter

June 5, 1944

Dear Grace,

Today finds me missing you more than ever. I miss the sounds of you in the kitchen and the smell of coffee brewing. I miss knowing you are only a few moments away from me....

We have been traveling for 6 days now and witnessing some of the worst of humanity out here. I try to keep my emotions inside, because this is not the place for them, but I must tell you the sights here haunt me in my sleep and beat me through my day.

I have been spending time reading the magazines you sent to me. It seems to help relax me for a minute. I find a lot of humor just writing the word "relax" because it is such a forced thing we all do...pretending to let our guard down for even a second.

There are so many things that I want to express to you today, in this letter. I want you to hear my voice in every line as if I had the intimate joy of whispering these things in your ear. You see, you are my everything Grace. You are the first thought when I wake and the last before I sleep. Your voice is the music I long to hear and the sound of your breathing is lullaby I want to enter sleep with.

I know there are many odds facing us right now and I want you to know that we will come through this time, I will do my best to come home to you if it is God's will. This situation in which we find ourselves is beyond comprehension or conclusion and there are times I feel helpless in my own destiny. Thoughts of returning home to you and holding you in my arms keep my footsteps going forward, I want you to know that.

Tomorrow we are making a push onto the beaches at Normandy. There has been a lot of activity which requires our presence alongside our allies, and is our gateway for landing. We should be well in place before you receive this letter from me. I will update you again as soon as I can on our progress. Until then, know that I carry your love as a constant embrace, and return mine to you to carry you in these dark days.

With all my heart,
Bill

Sgt. William Healey
USMC 29th Division

2 comments:

Lori said...

Beautiful...

Mellissa said...

Thank you Lori. It was a fun writing exercise.

M