Monday, April 23, 2007

Child Beauty Pageants

I was watching a series on PBS about Child Pageants this weekend. It is not the first time I have seen this type of show and it has really been on my mind since watching it again.
I wonder how you all feel about them? Do you think they help children overcome shyness and make friends as is the "rigeur" statement by Pageant Moms, or do you feel they are too competitive and exploitative of the children.
In watching the series, I did notice one interesting thing. Most of the mothers were really out of shape, gave little thought to their appearance and seemed to be living vicariously through the child. The children seemed robotic and not really sure of why they were making their signature moves, they were just doing as they were taught. I really saw none of the childlike expressions of joy or silliness. It was like watching little plastic robots.
I must tell you that I thought a couple of things in watching along. The first is I wonder why the mother's don't put more care into the way they take care of themselves as a model for the child to learn by first. The second is that a lot of the families showcased did not seem to have the disposable income to feed this lifestyle. What about putting that money earned from the mom having a second job into a college fund instead of a pageant entry? Would this not go further in life if you really were focused on giving your child a better shot in society? It was said that the children learn social skills and how to be in the public eye by doing this. Does a three year old really understand that, or do they just understand that they don't get a sparkly crown like the other girl and mommy looks mad.
When I was a toddler, I had a Miss America bathing suit and I loved it with the cute little banner running across the front. My dad used to put me on the dining room table and get me to recite the pledge of allegiance and sing songs.  My dad was so proud at how smart I was at such a young age. It was not about my appearance, it was about the pride of my learning. The audience was not competitive, it was family. I was not pretending to be an adult, I was a child who liked to talk (still do) and sing songs and dance.
I do understand the need to socialize children, to make them feel special and proud. I just wonder if that is the best way to go about it. What do you all think about this? I am very curious to know.
Is it fun or exploitation??
xoxo,
Bug

5 comments:

lecram sinun said...

I'm leaning toward the exploitation end... and quite agree to the observations you made. It's one thing to play "dress up" and quite another to be paraded around as a "specimen of beauty". There are other forms of socialization that have worked quite well for eons... like playing.

Tim said...

I think it's exploitation and I agree with your assessments 100%. Kids should be allowed to be kids. There'll be plenty of time for make-up and dress up when they get older.

I think it teaches girls the wrong message, focusing on outer appearance rather than inner beauty.

I would never put my daughter through this. I'd rather see her playing with her brother, getting her pants dirty playing outside, making up stories, drawing, and learning, rather than looking like a china doll.

Rebecca said...

I definitely feel at this age, it's exploitation. These are babies, literally. As gorgeous as these little girls are made up to be - there is more to life than being gorgeous and "talented", and most especially by pageant terms. Beauty is skin deep. How about being intelligent? Strong? Determined? 4 year olds should not be made up to look 29. Just my humble opinion. If a teenager decides she wants go the pageant route then sure, why not? But babies only have their parents to guide them and I personally feel that there are better ways that parents can guide their children than to focus on their outward appearances. Being a woman is more than being attractive. I'm all for letting girls play with dolls than looking like one! Or better yet, let a little girl play soccer or street hockey and be strong in her femininity.

There's so much more I could say about this topic, so I guess to say it mildly is that I feel it's very wrong at this age, on many different levels.

Mellissa said...

Thanks you guys, I totally agree with Rebecca on allowing the girls to compete as teenagers, as long as they keep it kind and not become bratty in the process. I really wish there was a documentary "Kiddie Beauty Queens, Where Are They Now" to see how this type of pagentry has affected them, either positively or negatively.

xoox,
Bug

oregoncelticlady said...

It is really horrible and I totally agree that the mothers are living their own dream. I could not believe the show I watched when the mothers shared about make-up artists, contacts, hair extensions, even false teeth covers!!! Craziness!