Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bad Mother

I was in a store today looking at sunglasses beside a cute younger girl. She was dressed well, had shiny black hair and looked to be about 15 years old. She bumped me with the sunglass stile and apologized with a shy smile, she was polite. Her mother was shopping in the store with her and must have been looking for the girl. (It is a Loehman’s, so it is not very big and you can see from one end to the other with no problems.)

When she approached her daughter who was now standing at the costume jewelry case next to me she began her verbal assault. She was mean, she was angry and she grit her teeth when speaking to her daughter. I watched, kind of stunned by her actions. She wasn’t loud by any means, but her tone was unlike anything I had heard. She practically spat her disdain. If someone spoke to me like that, I would assume they hated me. I cannot imagine my mother ever speaking to me that way, and trust me at 15 I gave her a run for her money and got taken down a notch or two many times, but never as an all out attack filled with venomous hate.

I am sure that as a teenager, she can get on nerves, and most likely at some point in their morning that girl had pushed a button or two. However, the treatment she got was just so very sad. After several hateful sentences, her mother told her to get her “ass” up to the counter and pay for her items and that she would be waiting in the car. They were affluent people, looking like they wanted for nothing materially. I couldn’t help but think the girl would trade in her Abercrombie in a second for a little love.

I made no attempt to hide the fact that I was staring at her mother, and as she looked at me when her daughter walked away I shook my head. She gave me a haughty look of arrogance – which is never a wise thing to do. I can do haughty bitch with the best of them. I had a couple of things to say to her, right there in the middle of the store. I figured if she put her business on the street for all to witness, then I could put my response on that street as well.

I told her she should be ashamed, and that she was a disappointment to her gender. I also told her that it must hurt her daughter very much to feel that her mother despises her that much. She didn’t say a word. She just stood there in shock. I told her that I didn’t feel a bit sorry for calling her out and that she just flat out lacked any class and that she was a mule in horse harness.  I turned my back on her and walked away. I could have yanked her diamond hoop earrings from the sides of her head. She is lucky that I was in a good mood. She sure could dish it out on a young one, but didn’t seem near as tough when confronted with an equal. When I turned to give her one last look, she was still standing there – naked and exposed.

She deserved it – and more.

7 comments:

oregoncelticlady said...

*wild applause*
BRAVO!
BRAVO!
BRAVO!
*whistle, applause, loud stomping!!!*

Tim said...

A sad state of affairs when a mother can berate her child like that in public. I'm surprised the mother wasn't foaming at the mouth when she was "speaking" to her daughter.

Good for you, though for calling out that woman on her bad behavior right there in public.

I hope, and we'll never know if, your taking her down a notch or two prompted some sort of an apology from mother to daughter either in the car or sometime afterward.

No matter how bad my kids ever get, I would never berate them in public. To me that kind of parental behavior only serves to alienate the child even more - the exact opposite effect of what was intended.

siobhan said...

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

*standing and starting the slow clap*

Kelly Sadosky said...

I am still getting to know you, so I think it's so funny you said something to that lady. That is something I would have done only in my mind...I hope that it gave her something to think about every time she gets ugly with any other member of her family. I am sure her daugher is not the only one that gets that ugly face.

Mellissa said...

Ya'll are funny! I just hate it when I see someone getting dinged like that...and Kelly, I don't always walk around with a big mouth, I am usually quite the friendly, chatty type and spend time out chatting with strangers and loving finding common ground - but this woman really needed the crap kicked out of her. I am still mad about it.

xoxo,
Bug

oregoncelticlady said...

I can totally see Melissa saying this...we all have it in us!!! I do not, however, picture her hiking her skirt, kicking off her heels to "kick the crap out of her" !!! *laugh*