Monday, May 28, 2007

A Letter To My Cousin

When I was in the second grade, my parents decided to leave sunny Florida to buy a farm in Sevierville, Tennessee (think Dollywood) because my mother was way into The Mother Earth News and wanted to work the land and restore and old farm house. It was country to say the least back then. Our farm was between the road and a small house that sat behind our property. You will see that I wrote about Mr. MacMahan shooting at Ms. Hill (Dolly Parton's aunt who lived in the house behind our farm.) They had a long-standing feud and when they would get drunk they would fight, and one night, he stood at the top of our road and shot their house up. We moved right after that - my dad was put in jail for reporting it as the Sheriff was a MacMahan son. I kid you not. But all that aside, we sure did have a fun year living on that farm with our tractor and cows and hay barn. I learned to skin a rabbit from my brother. He was 9 and I was 6. Good times (well, except for the Hatfield and McCoys.)

 March, 1976 2nd grade (forgive the mistakes, I was just 6)
Machelle I do hope you can come up easter. It probbly wont snow. you wont wory abought getting your feet cold. one day we got to take are shoes off. PS did you know that Brother Baker dided, and so did pop Gerber. Are naber Mr. Mac got mad and started shooting at Miss hill, his sister and sammy doesn't like his classroom and rembrant is dowing fine but laidy isint she has a broke leg. Bossy is fat and claf's are dowing fine. I can tell you hoo are the teachers pets. hear they are.
xoxo, Bug

3 comments:

oregoncelticlady said...

what a treasure! My mother, who hords NOTHING, recently gave us big manila envelops full of little crds, notes and letters we had given her over the years. She gave my daughter a big mailing tube with art and a full size colored tracing of herself (my daughter :-) that she made when she was three. LOVE!

Tim said...

I love stuff like that! I have saved some of the treasures my kids have brought home. Marvelous memories...

Kelly Sadosky said...

That is too cute! I just read the letter even though it's been posted a few days. I love kids spelling...just like it sounds!