Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Dancing and Other Joys of Life

Tonight I had my dance class and Andrew and I worked on our Salsa, Rhumba and Waltz. There was a young couple in the studio tonight who were taking their first lesson together. They were preparing for their wedding and wanted to be ready for their first dance as man and wife. So there they were, as stiff and nervous as can be. Really cute but uncomfortable. They were looking at everyone else instead of each other and he was stepping on her toes an awful lot.

The song of choice for them was LeeAnn Rimes "I need you" and I was cracking up as it is really hard to dance the salsa to that music. That is when Andrew and I launched into our Waltz. It was a beautiful, slow one with care given to hand placement and long graceful lines. The instructor stopped the couple and asked them to just watch Andrew and I as we worked the floor and you could see it beginning to make sense to them both. The dance is about grace and companionship and relying on the other person to complete your connection and match your togetherness.

They both were so excited to try again, realizing that this first dance was a reflection, in motion of their commitment to each other. Andrew and I moved on into a little flamenco style dancing and laughing as I told him about the woman in Riverdance and mimicked her style. Twirling and stomping my feet like a Senorita. It was a great evening.

I am so happy to be dancing again. It is truly one of my joy's in life.

No comments: