Monday, November 07, 2005

Two Faces of Eve



When I was a little girl, I can remember wondering what I would look like when I was "all grown up". I wondered how my face would be as I aged and what my style would be.

It is funny because tonight I realized that I am all grown up now. This is my woman's face. There are no hints of youth anymore, no baby fat to hide the lines that are forming around my eyes. Three years ago I looked different, but time goes by for each of us. There is no Botox to hide what my eyes have squinted at for 37 years. So this is it. The second half of the play and I am the grown up now.

There are two distinct looks that I carry. One is for my work (or as Lance like to call it - my librarian look) and one is for my everyday. It is funny as I look at them both side by side, because they also mirror my personality. I am a Gemini and there are two distinct sides of me. One is bold and sophisticated and comfortable in board rooms, opera houses and five star restaurants (Ladybug), and the other loves fleece and jeans and eating bar-b-que and listening to country music (Silver Comet Girl).

So as I sit here tonight and reflect on who I have grown up to be, I embrace both sides and realize that I don't have to change that to be one or the other. They are both just me, and that is a nice place to find myself in the beginning of life's second act. I finally got to see "her" face and I found out that I am just what I imagined.

No comments: