Sunday, March 26, 2006

Special

That is what my Sunday school children are. They are special. I am a lucky lady indeed to spend that little bit of time with them.

Emma, Sebastian, Wilson, Jordan, & Dante. We talked today about the Last Supper and Emma said she thought it must have been like Thanksgiving. I loved that - so simple was the correlation in her mind.

When we went into our theater production message for the week, Emma looked up at me and asked "Miss Mellissa, what is sin" - After I gave her the simple answer she needed to connect the dots about why Jesus died for our "sins", I just held her for a moment. She is so tiny and her hair is like silk. As we said our little prayer together, I could not help but inhale her sweetness.

Wilson lost his front tooth and Sebastian lost his two lower teeth - they were proud of this first step towards becoming "grown-ups" and we had a talk about teeth and how they are important in making smiles (in their case, little toothy/toothless grins).

Jordan was shy and I loved singing and dancing with him, watching him grow comfortable in our group and asking if he came back to see me next week if I would help him make another paper airplane. He is beautiful and a little timid.....we'll fix that.

Dante's shoes came untied and as I re-tied one, Wilson offered to help tie the other. We learned about supporting each other as friends through discussing that small action of helpfulness. Wilson beamed because he was being a true friend.

These children amaze me each and every week. It makes me dream of having my own one day. I cannot imagine the joy of holding your own child and feeling that wonderment. Those of you with children, take a little extra time today to tell them they are special. Tell them they are beautiful and smart and how lucky you are to be with them each day.

Happy Sunday to you all!

Ladybug

No comments: