Sunday, January 14, 2007

Measuring


This morning is a quiet one here in Atlanta, Maggie has decided to become a traitor and cling to Greg, curled up beside his feet. I am having coffee and listening to the sounds of my neighbor waking next door, the water from her shower running down the pipes behind my head.


This morning I woke up thinking about the way we measure things, or weigh things. Each person has a different system, different tools, and different aptitudes for sizing things up properly. I don't seem to be as adept in math, so my measuring skills are a bit rudimentary in the grand and simple things in life.


I guess I like to measure in the units of "dash", "smidge", "bit", "pinch" instead of "degree", "sign", "sixteenth", etc. I am much less exact in how do describe a measurement, but I know exactly how much I mean.


Relationships are like this as well. Two people are measuring each other, calibrating possibility. The bad thing about that is that it requires the participation of the two people. One can only stand from afar and size the other up for so long before closer inspection is warranted and proper. I mean you don't want to fall in love with a sofa, for example that will never fit in your living room. So you look at it from a far, you like what you see, you read up to make sure the quality is there in the making, and then there is the final - measuring of the piece...and sometimes no matter how much you love something or just think it is what you were looking for, you are afraid that that measurement stick will tell you a completely different story.


My way of completing that would be, "I just loved that, but it was a smidge to long for the room." and then I would move along to what was right for me, but wouldn't soon forget that one I thought was right. I am pulling out my tape measure....and hoping.


xoxo,

Bug


2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Luck to you!

Cindy said...

New relationships are fun. Hope 2007 is full of love and laughter for you.