Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Not Gonna Happen Like That....

At the end of 2006 I sat in a spot in Geneva with a friend of mine, talking about life, and the things I needed to do to change mine.

One of the things we discussed was to live authentically, to be true to myself first. It is o.k. to put yourself and your best interests at the top of your life list of priorities.

So today I enacted that principal and put me first. I said "this is not going to work...for me" and I felt absolutely horrible about it. I have become so used to allowing others to be a priority that my knees were weak and I had a lump in my throat..but I did it - I said it out loud and for the first time, in a long time - I made myself a priority.

It felt really good. Life is waiting - and I am learning to live each day - with doing what is best and essential for my health being at the number one spot on the list.

Work has it's place, and so does having a personal life. Today I chose the balance...and am smiling with pride that I had the guts to change it.

Thank you again P - I have not forgotten our talk.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done, love! I am proud of you! Keep on..

P.

Rebecca said...

It is definitely difficult to put yourself first, esp. if you're the type to put everyone else ahead of yourself. Good on you for making that effort! It's something that we as women, often tend to forget or opt not to do.

Mellissa said...

P - Thanks for everything. Good advice lingers....

Bec - You are absolutely correct - it is hard to keep true to yourself, but I am committed to trying this year.

xoxo,
Bug

AM said...

Hey, i know what you mean ... how do you stay there though? ... because i feel i am drawning again, slowly slowly ...