Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Taking The Wheels Off

Sometimes in life it is time to grow up and ride free without the safety net. I think one of the hardest lessons in life is to trust that your own power will sustain you and the balance provided by your comfort zone items are not needed anymore.

Greg snapped this photograph at Chastain Park on Sunday while we were out walking Maggie and when I saw it for the first time, I knew exactly what this little boy felt like. There is such a joy to know that you can do it - no matter what it is that you are attempting. This is a beautiful reminder of the freedom we feel upon finally taking off the training wheels and pedalling away at a faster pace..than you ever have before.

The comfort of having those we trust and look up to for protection still close by is the icing on the cake. This is how life should be for all of us - full on, but wearing a safety hat and keeping our protectors close at hand should life make us take a spill.

xoxo,
Bug

6 comments:

Southern Sweetheart said...

As usual, great post Mellissa. I do just that every day -- life - full on, safety hat, harness, etc nearby. :)

Tim said...

I grew up on a street with a very large hill. I can remember pedaling up that hill on my bike many, many times, just to turn around and enjoy the breeze on the way down. Sometimes I'd hold on to the handle bars for dear life, but most of the time not, confident that my speed and bicycle riding skill would see me safely to the bottom of the hill...

Sometimes life is like that ride down the hill on your bike, without holding onto the handle bars.

Mellissa said...

SS - I hope you are doing well!! When are you gonna come to ATL again - we have to do Martini's and a shopping spree!!!

Green - Loved the comment, I used to be the ruler of the free world on my Huffy Pink Thunder bike....life was never better then back in the day, just riding around being a goofy 10 year old!

xoxo,
Bug

Southern Sweetheart said...

Hey again lady! I'm not sure when I'm coming back but I'm sure it won't be too long away. Seems I'm there every several months or so. I'll be sure to let you know! We must, we must do those martini's and shopping!!! :)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Leesa said...

Wow..great post :)

AM said...

I love your choice of picture to go with your post :)

... but what do you do when you don't have that safety hat? you create your own, right? and it takes time to create your own ...