Monday, February 19, 2007

Thinking About That Bowl

Dear ERF,

Hi there, it's me. I was just thinking about you and how our life used to be when we weren't "I's", you know when we were a "we".

I took Maggie for a long walk this afternoon around the golf course and then headed to Publix to get a few things for the fridge. It is still hard to get used to shopping for one. I used to be so good at the grocery runs - I knew exactly what we needed and what was on the menu for the week. I was always in the kitchen, remember?

I was driving home thinking that a tuna sandwich would be the way to go tonight. Can you believe I haven't made one for three years!? When I was driving home I was thinking about that bowl that I always used to use to make it in. The white one with the blue trim, and then I remembered that I gave it to you to keep when we separated. Funny how things like that make me remember times gone by.

As I stood at the counter tonight, chopping up the celery and onion I was feeling really alone because of my choice of a meal. It was our Saturday afternoon staple because I made the "best tuna sandwich you ever ate." We would each grab a sandwich and sit across from each other on the couch reading or watching a movie on t.v., whiling away the afternoon with no commitments, but to each other. There were two golden retrievers curled up on the floor at either side of us; one for you, and one for me. They are gone now too, like so many things we treasured.

I know things will never be the same for us again, and I am happy that friendship has settled upon us now, some four years later. We are both living our lives and doing the best we can. But you were my best friend for 13 years, and that is something that at times like these I miss.

Well, I am off to toast some bread and then get out the couch to watch a movie. Maggie will be curled up at my feet...but somehow tonight - my choice of dinner - and thinking about the right bowl to make it in made me miss you.

I hope you are well wherever you are tonight.

Love,
Mellissa

5 comments:

Melanie said...

that's sweet...

BigDadGib said...

Love is a good tuna fish sandwich with a good friend.

Great post.


BDG

Southern Sweetheart said...

You're a real gem lady.

AM said...

:) it's so wierd how sharing things and life for so long with one person can come with so many positive memories despite everything else :)

Rebecca said...

Memories.....
You can't miss a memory, can you? ;)

Have a wonderful day!