Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In Vino Veritas

We have all heard the expression "In Vino Veritas" translation In Wine Is Truth. I was thinking about a conversation I had with a friend of mine last week in regard to a social situation and I want to get your opinion on the scenario below.

You go into a nice restaurant with a group of people. You order dinner and a couple of bottles of good wine (these folks only drink the good stuff). At the end of the meal you are presented the check and you pay the bill without looking at it. After leaving the restaurant and looking at the receipt, you notice that the waiter has not charged your bill for one of the bottles of wine.

I was asked the question (and this is a real scenario mind you) of what would I have done. Would I contact the restaurant and notify them of the error, or would I be silent and have the attitude "not my problem, I paid what I was asked to pay".

I said that I would contact the restaurant where I am a frequent diner and tell them that they inadvertantly left one of the bottles of wine off the check. I personally think this is a matter of good breeding and honesty, and elegance of character. I would hate to think that the waiter had to absorb the cost of the wine when I could well afford to pay for the choice I made, when he/she perhaps could not. It would bother my conscience to think I had shorted someone if I was aware of the mistake.

What would you do:

1. Contact the restaurant and let them know.
2. Ignore it - after all it is their mistake.

Thanks!

M

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I would definitely let them know before I left; we always check the check before we leave any restaurant, just a funny habit I suppose. But if we didn't catch it at the time, I'd definitely say something after the fact. Not only would it most likely come out of the wait staff's money for that night - if it's a restaurant I really enjoy - I'd hate to think that they would see a regular customer as a jerk. You know what I mean?

I do not, however - order good wine at a restaurant. I'm rarely there long enough to enjoy a bottle that needs to breathe. I tend to order by the glass when not at home. :)

Oh - and the book you referenced at my place...no, I haven't read it and truthfully - I don't have an interest to. From what I've heard it takes positive thinking to unrealistic expectations, which I don't necessarily agree with.

Mellissa said...

Hey Rebecca,

Thanks for the input, especially as a Wine Shop Owner. I agree on the book thing. I was curious about it after so many people were talking about it. I think you have to be positive for yourself but not expect that just by being a happy person that nothing but good things will come your way. I think it is all a balance.

xoox,
Mel

Tim said...

mellissa: you know I've gone both ways in situations like this in the past. But the right thing to do is definitely let the restaurant know about the error - especially if you frequent the place.

Ruth said...

I usually check before I pay, not after I left the restaurant.

If I notice before paying I will definetely say something.

If I notice outside it probably depends on how tired or hurried I am, but if I didnt check before paying I'm not sure if I would afterwards...

New question: is it stealing if you don't tell?

oregoncelticlady said...

I teach my second graders that honesty is what you do in front of people BUT integrity is what you do when no one is looking, when no one will know! Much more difficult I think!

I love your term "elegance of character"...beautiful!