Monday, April 16, 2007

NBG

I remember being in Paris last December. I had been out Christmas shopping at a local artisan show in Neuilly. It was so cold that afternoon and the onset of a very fine mist of rain covered everything in a golden, hazy glow.

With my treasures carefully packaged and tucked away in my carry satchel, I began walking along the quiet backstreets of Paris, just trying to be in the moment. As I turned the corner, the Arc De Truimph came into view, magnificant and awe inspiring. At that moment I felt lonely, and pondered on why I always experience the beauty of life alone.

A moment later, my mobile phone rang and I smiled. The caller ID showed your name as I had entered it in those early days, "NBG". You were driving through Atlanta, only some five miles from my house. At that moment I wished, more than anything, that I was back in Atlanta. Paris held no comparison to the thought of the nearness of you. "Bad timing", I thought to myself.

A mere week later we met and you were just as I imagined. Quiet, a little nervous and unsure about me and who I was. That first night together was a special one, as were the days and nights that followed. We made a pact that went un-heeded and I never regretted it for a moment. Some things are meant to be broken.

Now here I am, almost six months later. I am alone again, and far away from you. Although there is not an ocean separating us, it is of no matter. You see, miles carry distance and so does the heart; both can be given credit in life for "bad timing" and neither can be changed, it seems.

One form of distance I can change, the other is not within my power. What a sad truth.

No comments: