Monday, April 16, 2007

When You KNOW Better

In life, one of the hardest things to do is humble yourself and admit when you have misunderstood or been one sided.

In my life I pride myself the most on my character and my value system. It is the core of who I am. I wish I could explain it in more articulate strains, but suffice it to say that it is etched into every fiber of my being and my DNA is linked to be honorable no matter what the cost to me personally.

To that end, I try to not deceive people or to hurt them. Someone asked me the other day to explain the Golden Rule, which we all know is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I feel like my whole life has been about doing unto others and hoping the same would be returned. You know what? Life isn't really like that - if it was, I would be understood and comforted and loved without question, because I really do try to do well unto others in my life.

However, I have hurt another recently in battle and although the situation is one of great pain and confusion, I had no right to say the things I did or fight at the level I went to. When I discovered the truth behind the way the other person thought today, I had to humble myself and all my pride and my feelings to contact them and say that I had not considered their feelings, not for one moment had I been able to fathom the thought process as men and women think so differently on things. If you knew the details of my situation, you would know the tremendous sacrifice it was for me, the tremendous sense of loss and sorrow - the ultimate attempt at living the Golden Rule and speaking the truth. I was sincere and my heart let go of a lot of pain in the understanding I gained.

I do believe that when you know better, you do better. Today I know better and I stood up and said so. I still hope, but at least I know I wont repeat the same mistakes again.

I hope you are all well, and that you give someone love today and tomorrow...we are so deficient in love these days. I truly in my heart believe that love is the answer and the greatest healer, I can't wait to teach these lessons to our son Evan. I want him to be very proud of his mother. I want to have dignity prevail in my life.

I just want to love....and be loved in return, what a blessing that will be one day!

And to you NBG, thank you for listening and seeing a bit into my DNA today...

Goodnight,

Mellissa

3 comments:

Tim said...

Wow. It's a rare person who can admit to being wrong and even rarer a person who can do it publicly.

Good lessons here.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Why give a shit what people think about you?

Lori said...

Saying "I'm sorry" can be a difficult thing to do. Sometimes it's hard to admit when we're wrong, but all of us make mistakes and hurt others at times, even if it's unintentional. Remember that old saying about love means never having to say you're sorry? Nothing could be farther from the truth. Loving someone means valuing their feelings, and sometimes that involves an apology. Little is gleaned from bitterness. It sounds like you are on the right track!